Corrugated boxes are cardboard boxes that have rows of the air column. These air columns make such boxes strong and perfect than the simple single layer boxes. These boxes are made up of corrugated fiberboard, which is made on flute lamination machines or corrugators. The first machine for producing a huge corrugated board was first invented in 1874 by G. Smyth. In the same year, along with this invention, Oliver Long invented corrugated cardboard boxes with liner sheets on both sides to be called the same as a corrugated board in modern times.
Features of Corrugated boxes
There are several features of such kind of boxes that make them special in quality than others. Following are mentioned some of the characteristics of the corrugated boxes: –
- These boards have a certain limit of moisture content ranging between 6.5-9.5%. If the moisture content rises above 9.5%, it will reduce the board’s compression strength, and if it decreases below 6.5%, it can cause cracking in the corrugated box.
- Another aspect that every corrugated cardboard box should have tears resistance.
- Grammage weight of such boxes can be measured. It is denoted as g/m2.
- Better burst strength should be there. It is denoted as KPa or lb/inch2.
- Box compression strength directly measures the performance of corrugated boxes denoted as kgf or N.
- Edge crust test that measures box compression and force per unit width. It is denoted as KN/m.
Uses of Corrugated boxes
Following are mentioned some of the uses of corrugated cardboard boxes: –
- These boxes are made up of degradable materials. They can be reused and recycled.
- They are cost-efficient and sustainable.
- They are light in weight and cost-effective as well.
- They are very much stronger than the normal cardboard boxes.
- Corrugated boxes offer flexibility as it contains air columns.
- They are so well designed that they protect the material stored in them from moisture and bacteria.
Types of corrugated boxes
- Single-phase corrugated box consists of a single sheet and one or two liner board sheets. The flute is glued with the board.
- Single wall corrugated board: – It consists of one sheet of corrugated fibreboard placed between two sheets of liner board.
- Double wallboard: – It consists of two layers of corrugated medium fibreboard stuck between three liner board layers.
- Triple wallboard: – it is the strongest of all types. It consists of three layers of corrugated medium fibreboard placed between four layers of liner board.
Corrugated cardboard boxes have numerous advantages over simple cardboard boxes. They have several benefits and features that simple cardboard boxes do not inherit. It is always prescribed to prefer corrugated cardboard boxes when heavy or precious objects are carried or traded.